MezzeSoul is a pomegranate sauce brand from Healthy Recipes, a family run business. We are bringing the heat, warmth and soul of the Mediterranean to UK. The MezzeSoul range of delicious versatile sauces are made from fresh pomegranate juice.
Our focus groups
In September 2014, focus groups organised by Zenith International took place in the following locations:
- Bath (2nd September)
- London (5th September)
- Manchester (8th September)
Each group lasted for two hours and was attended by seven participants, a moderator and a chef to prepare and cook the food.
The names and gender of the participants at each session:
|Marsh Cottle||Female||40||Sue Browne||Female||42||Stella Dunne||Female||51|
|Emma Lees||Female||39||Catherine Kanter||Female||41||Julie Harrison||Female||47|
|Penny Wilkins||Female||23||Nina Garfield||Female||23||Sarah Townsend||Female||36|
|Adam Ifans||Male||44||Jack Drew||Male||18||Andrew Warnes||Male||46|
|Rosy Hall||Female||41||Jake||Male||25||Lisa Warnes||Female||44|
Zenith chose participants for the groups and ensured they were the correct target market for the products. The age range for all participants across the three groups was 18 – 51. The three groups comprised 15 women and 6 men (21 people total). All participants considered themselves to be people who:
- Had a real interest in food
- Enjoyed cooking at home
- Ate healthily
- Had an interest in TV cookery programmes
- Enjoyed food shopping
- Had an interest in new food products
- Enjoyed eating out at restaurants
The menu and order in which the samples were tasted were the same for each location:
- Pomegranate Garlic Lemon Zest
- Pomegranate Roasted Red Pepper
- Pomegranate Chilli Roasted Red Pepper
- Pomegranate Citrus Fruit
- Pomegranate English Mustard
- Pomegranate Vinegar
Tasting feedback – 6 individual products
1. Pomegranate Garlic Lemon Zest
- Would be good with meat.
- Reminds me of a chutney without the lumps.
- Bit like HP Sauce.
- Really like the taste but a bit too thick
- Good taste and quite tangy
- Has a real summery feel to it. Perfect for BBQ’s..
- Really good – can imagine it with lamb or duck.
- Delicious – a bit sharp but I like that.
- Really good
2. Pomegranate Roasted Red Pepper
- Really good and has a very fresh taste.
- I like the taste. Reminds me of pesto.
- Would be delicious with fish.
- Nice sweet taste
- Sweet taste and would be good on pasta.
- Similar to salad dressing and quite a unique taste.
- Bit sharp but I like it. It would go well with cous cous.
- Very good – I would have on cod.
- It would be great to sex-up a salad.
- Fabulous. Love it.
- Strong roast pepper taste. Really nice.
- I think it would be great with seafood
3. Pomegranate Chilli Roasted Red Pepper
- A bit thin to add to pasta but I can taste the chilli.
- Great mixed with soft cheese.
- Delicious but should be hotter.
- Nice with fish.
- Has an authentic Arabic flavour.
- Too mild. Would be good on a BBQ if it was hotter.
- Nice with fish maybe? I think the heat level is OK.
4. Pomegranate Citrus Fruit
- Fantastic taste, lovely colour. Delicious..
- Taste lasts a really long time.
- Would be a great dressing.
- Delicious – definitely the best yet.
- Good with Thai food maybe?
- Really good.
5. Pomegranate English Mustard
- Consistency good and feels right for the taste.
- Really tasty – like chutney.
- Delicious taste.
- Nice in a sandwich with cheese or cold meat.
- Great for the BBQ with sausages.
- Nice. Caramelised onion taste.
6. Pomegranate Vinegar
- Superb. I can really taste the pomegranate.
- Delicious. Absolutely delicious.
- Brilliant alternative to balsamic.
- Lovely flavour – the winner for me.
- Really good – has a ‘high end’ taste and I instantly know what to do with it.
- Delicious – can I take the rest home?
- It should be entered for the ‘Great taste awards’.
- Really sophisticated.
- Great pomegranate flavour with a real zing.
- Lovely taste and I would buy this 100%.
- Lemony and zesty.
- Has a ‘world food’ feel to it.
Tasting scores – raw product
- Following the tasting, each participant was asked to give every product a mark out of ten. The mark is based on taste.
- The following graphs show a total of the marks across each group for each product. For example Pomegranate Blue Cheese in Bath scored a total of 20 points made up as follows: 3,2,5,5,1,3,1. Pomegranate Vinegar scored 47 made up as follows: 6, 5, 7, 6, 9, 5, 9.
The MezzeSoul product range was well received by all participants.
It was agreed that there is nothing similar available at the moment and that the time is right for these Pomegranate based products.
On the whole, the tasting sessions returned positive results across the range. ‘Pomegranate Vinegar’ was the winner with ‘English Mustard’ and ‘Roasted Red Pepper’ the runners up.
Packaging was liked by all and it was agreed the bottles would sit comfortably on the shelves alongside other products in the same category. The label and bottle were considered to have a ‘premium’ feel and that the product price should reflect this.
Observations and recommendations form Zenith Internaitonal
It is clear from the reaction of the focus groups (and distributor interest) that Healthy Recipes have the potential for a successful product range with MezzeSoul.
There is nothing similar on the market and the pomegranate is considered a ‘super fruit’ by nutritionists. As a result the pomegranate is receiving a good amount of attention at the moment. This is mainly as a drink/juice ingredient but pomegranate molasses is also used for cooking to some extent - but is relatively hard to find. This range should extend the fruit’s appeal and has been designed with it’s target market well and truly in mind.